"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

9/20/16

A Fairisle Hat

Last Wednesday we lost our internet connection. I tried everything to get it to connect, but it wouldn't work. I finally called our service provider and they sent out a repairman. Unfortunately, though, he couldn't come out until yesterday. I went almost a whole week having to use my smart phone for internet access and NO Netflix. Not fun. My eyes are suffering some pretty nasty eye strain now from checking my email, Facebook, and Ravelry. The screen of a phone is too tiny for the amount of time I spend on the internet. I need to change some habits. And I don't really spend all that much time on it. Urg.

I got some knitting done. I whipped up a Fairisle hat. It's a model for the Fairisle class I've scheduled to teach. Yes! It's teaching season again. I'm going to be doing two beginning knitting classes per month, on Tuesday mornings, and Saturday mornings, plus a sock class in October and Fairisle in November. I wish I had time to do more.



Pattern: Basic Norwegian Star Hat by Cara Jo Miller
Size: Adult

Yarn: Knitpicks Brava
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Eggplant

Yarn: Knitpicks Brava
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Canary

Needles: Circular size 6

Started: September 14, 2016
Finished: September 18, 2016

Comments: I think this is going to make a good teaching pattern. It's easy to understand the instructions, and the pattern chart is good, except I wish she'd numbered the rows in it, but I can fix that by having the students do it the old fashioned way-with a pencil.



I used Brava from a sample pack I ordered a few months ago during one of Knitpicks sample sales. It's very reasonably priced. It's a very soft yarn and my hands liked that. But it wants to split and fray pretty easily. It's almost too soft. I'm worried it will pill like crazy. A lot of times, when it comes to price, you get what you pay for. We'll see how it stands up to being handled a lot.



The pattern actually calls for 3 colors to be used. It's a good pattern for using up bits of leftover colors. I think I'll make another one doing that, for Knitwits.



Garage update: Insulation installer showed up yesterday. Yay! He got all the walls pinkified. Today he's working on the ceiling.



We had some rain over the weekend. It rained very hard for a few hours. Water started dripping on the floor in the kitchen near the skylight. The kitchen lights are on either side of the skylight. Water got into them and caused the circuit breaker to shut the power off in the kitchen. Sigh. We need to get the roof replaced. Sweet Hubby repairs, and the repair comes undone. We need to get the thing fixed properly once and for all. I see what we'll be doing come spring.

Oh, the photo contest. I got my photo entered. I used my phone to do it. The competition is pretty stiff. It will be a couple weeks before I know if I've won or not. I won't be posting the photo here until then.

Sweet Hubby is flying home today. He had a wonderful time riding with our daughter. I got lots of pictures texted to me. I was a little jealous of their fun while I wrestled with the problems around here. I'm glad they enjoyed it though.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment