"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

12/3/14

WIP Wednesday 12/3/2014

I have new WIPS. After finishing the cowl, I didn't have anything appropriate for KIP knitting, so I've started a couple projects.

First up is a pair of mittens. I've been wanting to get into making colorwork mittens in the styles of Lithuania/Latvia/Estonia/Norway for some time. I'd like to teach a class on the subject, so I've decided 2015 will be the year of colorwork mittens. I'm using a pattern from the online Knitty magazine called Warm Hearted. They start with a picot hem method that I'm familiar with because of my years of machine knitting. It's the first time I've done it in hand knitting. I like it.



Second is a hat. This will be a Christmas present for someone. That's all I'm saying about that. It will be in a nice stripe pattern using the colors you see in the pic. I'm using Plymouth Encore yarn, which is a very good quality acrylic with a little bit of wool in it.



I've got the yarn lined up for a KnitWits project, but haven't cast on yet. Probably later this week I'll get it started. The Christmas present has top priority at the moment.

Thanksgiving went well. Much better than I thought it would. We had Dan and Sue and their family, my sister-in-law Kathryn, Nephew Mike and his wife and kids, and our very good friends Don and Phyllis Kobaly and their son. We stretched our resources having 18 people at a sit down dinner though. Besides the dining room table, we had to set up the 2 folding mess tables. Took 3 table cloths. I was surprised I had that many. Didn't have enough chairs though, so we borrowed some from Sue.

The food was delicious of course. We had all the normal Thanksgiving stuff. I made brandied cranberries, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and the turkey. (My turkey turned out perfect! I'm quite proud of myself.) Everything else was brought by the guests. We had so much food! We are quite lucky in this country to be able to have so much. Anyway, a good time was had by all and I'm very pleased with how it all turned out.

Today I have KnitWits. It's the distribution meeting. I'm looking forward to it. It's always fun to give out everything we've made to the recipients. My daughter Ruth has the day off from work, so she gets to go with me.





If you're interested in participating in WIP Wednesday, please join us.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment