"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

9/14/14

My Mermaid Hat

I've got a FO!



My Mermaid Hat

Pattern: Regina by Carina Spencer

Yarn: Quaere Fibre Worsted weight 100% SW Merino
Content: 100% superwash Merino wool, worsted weight
Color: A Tardis in the Park

Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash
Content: 100% superwash wool
Color: 1973 Seafoam Heather

Needles: Addi Turbo circular size 6 and 9

Cast on: September 5, 2014
Bound off: September 11, 2014

Comments: This was a fun knit, and slightly challenging. The band/fan is knit first, then sts are picked up along one edge and the body of the hat is knit inside out. I plan to teach classes on how to make this hat. The yarn is awesome. Especially the Quaere. I wish I had a sweaters worth of it.

Side view. Doesn't it look like a mermaid tail in the sea?




The other side. The back is just a little slouchy.



I love the slip stitch columns that form a star.



I really love this hat.

Now on to news. My husband is out of town for the next 2 months. I took him to the airport early Friday morning. Then I went home and had a good cry.

Such a cutie pie.


He, and his bicycle (in the black case just behind him), flew to San Diego where he's starting a bike trip across the country tomorrow. The whole country. He is going with a group. They are starting in San Diego and ending in Jacksonville, Florida.

He's been wanting to do this all his life. He has talked about it constantly for the entire 34 years I've known him. He finally talked me into it. At first, he wanted to go by himself. I said NO WAY! I want someone with him just in case he has an accident, or a bike break down, or something. He wanted to do the 3 month trip which goes across the top part of the country, but I couldn't bear the thought of him being gone that long, so we compromised: I let him go, He went with a group, and he's doing the southern trip which takes a month less time.

I'm missing him terribly all ready. I'm also really thankful that our daughter, Ruth, lives with us. I'm not all alone with her here.

If you're interested in that kind of thing, my husband has started a blog about his trip which you can find here:  Adventure Cycling Southern Tier 2014. Other members of his group, which consists of 15 people counting their guide, will be posting on it too.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment