"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

12/29/13

Christmas Loot

I've had a very nice Christmas. Christmas Eve was dinner at the in-laws. There was quite a crowd of us, and so much food! Everyone brought 2 or 3 different dishes. There was 3 meats, 2 kinds of potatoes, several salads, sauteed mushrooms, cheeses, fruits, and breads galore! I didn't get to taste everything. I filled up on just the first plate of samples. My donations to the meal were strawberry jello salad, roast boneless leg of lamb (that was out of this world delicious!), and apple crisp for dessert. After dinner we exchanged presents. After distribution, I had one loaf of Panettoni bread left over. It will be eaten by us. Yum! There was also the usual assortment of wines, beer, candies, jams, and baked goodies from the family that were gifts. I've put some in the freezer to eat later.

Christmas day was a good one too. I woke up around 7a.m. to the sound of Cable hurling all over the bedroom carpet. Not exactly the way I want to wake up. Too much lamb the night before, I think. So I got up to clean up the mess and decided to stay up. I made coffee, then dug into my stocking. Later Doug and Ruth got up and we opened presents. Here is what I call my Christmas Loot. I must have been very good this past year. Very very good, indeed.

I scored big on chocolates. Lovely creamy tasty chocolates. YAY! This pile will probably last me until the end of February at least.



Grumpy Cat was a huge surprise! I am thrilled to have her. I am a huge fan. She will reside on my bed. Chenille is very jealous.



I also got a bottle of Maple finished Crown Royal Canadian whiskey, a second set of Chiagoo Twist Red Lace interchangeable needles. WOO HOO! I've been wanting a second set, for knitting in the round with 2 circular needles. I never thought I'd find knitting needles better than the Addi Turbos, but these are way above them. I also got some Clover pom-pom makers, and a couple new decks of Bicycle playing cards.



The adorable little Christmas ducks were in my stocking. Something to play with in the hot tub. And the biggest surprise of all, a new watch.



Sweet Hubby said he went on Amazon and searched 'knitting'. This came up in the search and he knew it had to be for me. I am so touched that he thought to do that. I love love love this knitting watch!



My sister-in-law, Kathryn, gave me this wonderful set of bowls. I didn't have anything like this in my kitchen. I have very few Christmas themed dishes. These are especially cute.



Later in the afternoon we went to our friends, Don and Phyllis, house for Christmas dinner and playing cards. The meal was delicious. We had turkey and the trimmings. Phyllis also made a cheesecake for dessert that was super delicious. I wish I could have eaten more than I did, but my tummy can't handle large quantities of food. So, moderation is in order. When we were getting ready to come home, Phyllis offered to send cheesecake leftovers home with us. I turned her down. Now I wish I hadn't. It would have been great for breakfast. However, we've got enough sweets in the house right now.

Yesterday we went and saw the new Hobbit movie.



 I enjoyed it immensely! It doesn't follow the book exactly, but it is a wonderful story none-the-less. The dragon is awesome! The scene with Bilbo when he finds the dragon is amazing. I can't imagine how much work went into the cgi for those scenes. All those gold coins to draw. The movie ended perfectly too. I won't tell it cuz I don't wanna spoil it for you if you haven't seen it.

Today it's snowing, off and on. Christmas is over, and now we have the dull dreary business of getting through winter.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment